Title: Mental Health Counselor
Department: Family Education Program
Employment Status: Full time, Exempt
Reports to: Mental Health Counseling Program Manager
Location: 1625 Blalock Rd
Impact Statement: The MAM Counselor assures the primary client’s (individual/family/couple) mental and emotional health care needs are supported so that basic life responsibilities (work, school, home) are attainable.
· Provides a variety of treatment services including individual, group, family, and marital therapy.
· Provides clinical services such as intake assessment/diagnostic evaluations, case evaluations and crisis intervention.
· Educates the community on a variety of mental health issues, as appropriate; drafts curriculum, facilitate workshops and other events, create informational print and electronic materials.
· Participates in regularly scheduled clinical supervision.
· Maintains clinical records in accordance with MAM’s policies and procedures on a weekly basis, HIPAA, Texas HB Three hundred other laws and regulations are currently in effect.
· Complies with clinical productivity standards as established by MAM.
Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients, staff, volunteers, and community partners.
· Asks questions that will help clients identify their feelings and behaviors.
· Collects information about clients using techniques such as evidenced-based or evidence-informed testing/assessment, interviewing, discussion, and observation.
· Confers with clients to develop plans for treatment and post-treatment activities.
· Drafts ethical practice standards for the program.
· Develops and implements individualized treatment plans
· Formulates realistic short-and long-term treatment goals; undertakes interventions that reflect basic knowledge of time-limited and crisis intervention therapies
· Determines whether clients should be counseled or referred to other specialists in such fields as medicine, psychiatry, and legal aid
· Encourages individuals and family members to develop and use effective skills and strategies for confronting their problems in a constructive manner
· Maintains case files that include activities, progress notes, evaluations, and recommendations
· Confers with other counselors (or other mental health professionals) to analyze individual cases and to coordinate counseling services
· Collects, interprets, and disseminates data for the evaluation of the effectiveness of the counseling program
· Follows up on results of counseling programs and clients’ adjustments to determine effectiveness of programs
· Serves as a liaison to other agencies as required.
· Attend monthly staff meetings
· Attend professional development activities
· Sessions can be completed remotely 50% of the time. The therapist can use his/her professional judgment to determine which Telehealth appointments are appropriate depending on the clients’ needs, approach in therapeutic practices, and/or clients’ risk of (danger to self).
· In remote working, the therapist must secure the environment they are working from, whether it is from their home or in the office, and it should be conducive to privacy and confidentiality to remain HIPAA compliancy.
· Master’s degree in Education, Social Work or Counseling with at least 3 years relevant clinical work experience.
· Current licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) or Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).
· Skilled in handling challenging situations and people in crisis.
· Demonstrated ability to work with people from all walks of life and treat them with dignity and respect, to listen empathetically and to persuasively suggest corrective courses of action.
· Significant knowledge of resources, organizations, programs and family-serving systems in Houston and Texas.
· English fluency (read, write, speak, and understand).
· Spanish fluency (read, write, speak, and understand) is required due to diversity in our clients.
· Excellent organizational skills with ability to prioritize tasks needed to succeed in an environment with minimal support staff.
· Flexibility to occasionally work in the evening and/or on weekends to accommodate the scheduling needs of clients and/or to support or attend events of or on behalf of MAM.
· Exceptional interpersonal skills, both written and verbal.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office, email, Internet, database, etc.
· Commitment to the MAM mission
· Must have reliable use of a smartphone to be able to clock in and out when working off site
Regularly required to talk or hear
Regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use keyboard, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms
Required to have the ability to lift and/or move up to twenty-five pounds
Required to remain at their workstation for prolonged periods of time
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Conditions/Work Environment:
Primary work location is a climate-controlled indoor office environment
Flexibility for travel related to job requirements.
Provide own reliable transportation with proof of valid driver’s license and TX minimum requirements of auto insurance.
*MAM’s Mission is to build stable families, a dynamic workforce, and vibrant communities…together.