Immigration Staff Attorney

Updated: Sep 27

Department: Immigration and Legal Services

Employment Status: Full-time

Location: 1625 Blalock Rd


Job Summary

Memorial Assistance Ministries (MAM) serves the Houston Community by providing immigration services for people who come from all walks of life while treating them with dignity and respect.


For those with active student loans, up to $6,000 annually in additional compensation may be available. Relocation assistance may be available.

The Immigration Staff Attorney will provide legal services to individuals and families seeking immigration relief. The Staff attorney will also participate in community education and outreach efforts. In fulfillment of our mission and goals, the Staff Attorney helps individuals and families move up on the Stability Pathway by helping them gain permission to work and live in the United States allowing them to become self-sufficient.

Responsibilities:

  • Conducts consultations/intakes, provides legal advice on available immigration relief, and completes legal research for consultations when needed

  • Prepares and files applications before USCIS, Department of State, the Board of Immigration Appeals and the Immigration Court according to program procedures; responds to request for evidence, monitors filed cases for adjudication and updates cases as needed

  • Conducts legal research and writing including correspondence, briefs, and motions

  • Primary contact and presenter for outreaches, coordinates scheduling with the community and presents MAM Know Your Rights presentation

  • Reviews current case law, memorandums, and regulatory changes, consults with clients and staff about such changes, attends immigration-related conferences, meetings, and trainings as needed

  • Performs case management tasks, including calendar and file notes, client database entries and updates, correspondence, and case service statistics

  • Updates all relevant data according to the programs policies and procedures by the end of each month on Immigration and ETO for accurate reporting

  • Ensures that clients receive their invoices, that clients pay the legal fees and that everything is recorded properly, and in a timely manner

  • Consistently follows all record keeping policies, procedures, and standards to ensure that all client information is protected from unauthorized or unintended release

To be successful, all candidates must have a Doctor of Jurisprudence degree as an attorney in good standing and licensed to practice immigration law in at least one state in the United States. We are seeking an attorney in good standing with 2-4 years immigration law experience with an emphasis on family-based-immigration. Because our community and client population is diverse, we require that our attorney be fluent in English and Spanish. All applying candidates must have reliable transportation, insurance, and a valid drivers license to commute between the MAM office(s) and satellite locations. This hybrid position will work at least 60% of the time in our office space. To be eligible to work remotely the remaining 40% of the time, our successful candidate will be able to demonstrate that they have a private work space where they can serve our clients remotely using a headset.

MAM provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.


We follow CDC recommendations for masking and safe distancing. Employees who meet with clients or other employees have availability of work stations and conference rooms that have plastic shields.

To Apply: To apply, please complete our online job application.

Recent Posts

See All

Community Relations Manager

Department: Programs Employment Status: Full-time Location: 1625 Blalock Rd Job Summary Memorial Assistance Ministries (MAM) is a non-profit organization serving the Houston Community by providing a v

Resale Store Supervisor

Department: Resale Store & Warehouse Employment Status: Part-time Location: 1625 Blalock Job Summary MAM (Memorial Assistance Ministries), located in the Spring Branch community of Houston, Texas, has

Resale Online Sales Specialist

Department: Resale Employment Status: Part-Time or Full-Time Location: 1625 Blalock Job Summary We are proud to serve a diverse demographic of clients, and at this time we are seeking an online sales